Ten Tips For Attending A Career Fair:
What You Need to Know Before You Go
On this page I've compiled the top ten tips for attending a career fair. Attending a career fair can be a great way to introduce yourself to potential employers, as well as good practice for selling yourself.
Ten Tips for Attending a Career Fair
- Call the fair sponsor to find out which companies will be represented.
- Research any companies you're interested in by finding out the company's mission, vision and work culture. This can easily be done online by going to each company's website.
- After researching the companies, prepare questions to ask the employers to find out if this is the type of place you'd like to work, and also to show you're interested in the company.
- Practice interviewing. This will calm your nerves and help you feel comfortable about any potential questions you may be asked.
- Be confident! Your self-assuredness will shine through. Remind yourself of all the great qualities and values you could bring to a potential employer.
- Dress for success. Make sure you're neatly groomed, and your clothes are neat and pressed. First impressions count.
- Take plenty of copies of your resume. If need be, take different versions of your resume if you have different job objectives. These should be professional-looking, on high-quality bond paper. Use white or ivory colored paper. Keep your resumes in a folder or portfolio to keep them neat.
- When speaking to company representatives, remain positive, make eye contact, and don't bring up any personal issues. LISTEN to what employers say, and if possible, let them tell you about their company and what's available first, before you tell them about yourself.
- Take pen and paper to take notes. You can put your notebook or extra paper in your resume folder or portfolio.
- Get business cards or names of people you speak with, and FOLLOW-UP with a personal, hand-written thank-you note after the Fair to let them know how much you enjoyed speaking with them, learning about their company, making sure to re-affirm your qualities that make you a great hire.
Following the ten tips for attending a career fair above will help you get the most out of your career fair experience.
Return To Tips For Job Hunting In Today's Market